Assistance in porting several models

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Skyye13
Custom Rank: Failed Loser

Assistance in porting several models

Post by Skyye13 »

Hey guys,

I have been porting a number of models, and the few times I can actually utilize the 3ds Max export script, I have the same issue when importing into XPS studio... the bone weights get all screwed up. Now, I don't mess with anything in 3ds max, I leave alone the skin modifier and such, the only thing I've done thus far is add transparency to textures.

I've brought this up here before, and there doesn't seem to be any solution that anyone can find.

So as such, I would like help finishing the ports on these models... Would someone be willing to fix the bone weights for me? I am currently working on Sanctum 2 models, which are pretty cool so far. As far as I know, I'm the only one porting models from this game, and I'd like to get a few models out there to really show the community that I can do mainstream stuff as well as custom work.

Anyone who is willing to help me, let me know, I'll provide you with the models... crediting works as I always do it- everyone involved receives credit for their work, but I will be releasing the model. If you have a deviantart, which is where I will release them, I would be more than willing to help promote your page by linking to it in my release, along with the credits :)

Anyway, thanks in advance!
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Re: Assistance in porting several models

Post by thePWA »

Thats kinda vague. Are you using original game rigs? Are you skinning them with custom weights? It could be a number of things... so it can't be all the export scripts' fault.
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
Runa

Post by Runa »

That 3DS problem was kinda common for me as well. Everything was working fine, but then once imported in XNALara the weights were all broken for some reason. I don't know if this might be helpful... but I noticed that tends to happen if I accidentally click over the skin modifier... and I really mean only CLICK, without altering anything in it. However, I then moved to blender for that reason and also because I don't really know how to make certain things in Max, while in blender now I learned a lot of interesting things.
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
thePWA
Porter

Post by thePWA »

yeah blender's where its at. Its funny because I haven't had problems with any of the models I used max with. But then again I don't mess around with any of the other max buttons.
Runa

Post by Runa »

In my case, that mostly happened with meshmods, because I often had to select some modifiers and accidentally selected the skin one.
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
Skyye13

Post by Skyye13 »

Interesting.... yeah, I didn't mess with the skin modifier either, as far as I know, I didn't even click on it. All I did was apply textures using the material editor.

Its the original game rig, no custom work. I have considered switching to blender, but the layout and controls are so un-intuitive for blender, I got lost after a few minutes... you can't even scroll across the viewport without a special keyboard command, which is stupid.

I'm not saying blender isn't a good program, after all, most of the XNALara ports have been done using it, but I can't figure it out for the life of me...
thePWA
Porter

Post by thePWA »

Took me a while to realize you guys meant not just exporting the models with the script but importing them as mesh.ascii then exporting. Haven't actually tried that with max, li'l blender-exclusive ol' me.

PS kingfisher's gf... I think you're pretty damn sext hotness.
Skyye13

Post by Skyye13 »

No no, the script only exports as mesh.ascii, as far as I know... I would export from 3ds max using Mariokarts script, then open the mesh.ascii in XPS studio and resave it as an XPS file.

LOL, why thank you kind sir... kingfisher13 told me what happened on the other forum, I assume you are referring to that? He wasn't happy about it, he was in a blue funk for several hours after seeing that conversation, lol

I thought it was kind of ridiculous, it seems like a lot of people have been going after him on that forum, which is why I refuse to join it. Some guy called XNAaraL wouldn't leave him alone, kept flaming him under the pretense of "helping him with a problem"... he eventually just blocked the guy XD

Anyway, I have a model here from Sanctum 2, the character Sweet if anyone knows what I'm talking about, that I'd like help with... I already have her in mesh.ascii form, I just need her bone weights fixed.
Runa

Post by Runa »

I don't know then, might be a script problem. Did you already updated it with the latest version? It's strange that applying materials the weights screw up like that...
Skyye13

Post by Skyye13 »

I know, right? It seems like mario's script hates me, it never lets me just port a model, lol

I have the latest version, I always look for updates, but there hasn't been one for a while...