Namco Bandai's F2P Approach

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Namco Bandai's F2P Approach

Post by MisterHentai »

First Tekken Revolution, and in the future, we will also be getting Ridge Racer: Driftopia and Ace Combat Infinity too.

The interesting thing is how they are all PS3 exclusives, with the exception of Ridge Race: Driftopia as it will be getting a PC release too.

Not only that, but funnily enough, these F2P versions are based on reusing engine assets from full proper games that came before them too i.e. Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Ridge Racer Unbounded and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon respectively. :lol:

Release dates are sometime later this year for Ridge Racer: Driftopia :lol: and around September 25 for Ace Combat Infinity.

Also, with news of a "Soulcalibur: Lost Swords" being trademarked, perhaps this series will be following suit too? No surprise if it would use Soulcalibur V as a basis. :pi:

What next, a F2P "Tales of" game? :lol: Maybe even Mobile Suit Gundam too? :P
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Re: Namco Bandai's F2P Approach

Post by semory »

F2P is for mobile games; they will fail.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Tell that to the plentiful of random East Asian F2P games, especially MMO's, or Western MOBA's that are actually successful. :P

They can work if the game and the business model is a good balance of content and features.

Tekken Revolution was a pretty bad example initially, and whilst it's nice that the game has been updated a few times now with more to offer, it should had been like that since the beginning instead of being rushed out.

I can see these two upcoming ones can be a little more successful if they do it right i.e. offer unlimited play time.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

F2P appears to work if a game is addicting. However, given a choice between

1. booting up my PS3 and starting Tekken Revolution

and

2. starting up my iPhone to play Candy Crush Saga,

you guys already know what my choice will be :LOL:

Has Tekken Revolution been updated again yet?
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Games like Candy Crush Saga are suited towards mobile devices like phones and tablets or handheld consoles because they are relatively quick and simple to load and play. They are just basic puzzle type games.

Comparing them to what is essentially a cut down version of a big budget game title, or in some cases they actually are big games (MMO's obviously) of completely different genres, it's apples and oranges. :P

Even then Tekken Revolution is just a really bad example, seeing as even alot of people don't know what the hell Namco Bandai are doing with that game. Plus it's a fighting game, F2P is practically new territory for that genre and they are still trying to figure out how to get it working on that model. We'll see how well it goes once Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate comes along with it's F2P version.

And yes it got updated recently with a couple new modes and features i.e. offline unlimited play practice/training mode.

There are already F2P racing games that are working well, i.e. certain versions of Trackmania, and with combat flight sims, I'm not too sure there, but Ace Combat is a well regarded series, and if the play model is good, it can appeal to alot of people.

And don't forget, you have F2P games like League of Legends and DOTA2 that are incredibly successful, and the fact that they are hugely international E-Sports games too.
Dank Buttsen

semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

ah, but a lot of those mmo's are addicting! tekken revolution on the other hand... :LOL:
i just don't see any fun in winning a couple of matches and then having the game say, "Game Over!"
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Well like I said, it is a fighting game.

If it's the right genre and with a good play model, then it can work.

Tekken Revolution is just too old-school and restricted in the way it works.
Dank Buttsen

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Seriously wondering how this game will work out.

I tried a little of the Ridge Racer: Driftopia on Steam Early Access and so far, not really that great. :?
Dank Buttsen

semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

would be nice if those fighters transformed into gerwalk mode :D
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

I remember seeing a Macross game demo for the Oculus Rift which gives me hope. :lol:
Dank Buttsen