3D Ripper DX

Discussion about ripping models and other assets from video games.

Moderators: Runa, Love2Raid, semory

Runa

3D Ripper DX

Post by Runa »

So, I never really used this tool because I met many problems the first time I tried (and not every game is supported), but wanted to give it another go today, since I wanted some scenaries from Assassin's Creed.

I know you can extract meshes and textures from AC with a tool called Maki, which I started to use. However, it's kinda hard to locate what you are looking for, so I thought that with 3D Ripper it would be easier. I wasn't sure it worked with this game, but apparently it does... it didn't crash and I could successfully export the bureau scenary from Jerusalem (it actually exported the whole town X_x but well).

I loaded the pieces into Max with the 3DR importer, but I noticed that almost all the textures are totally wrong. Not talking about screwed up UVs (it looks like they are only applied to duplicated meshes, so you can simply delete them to unhide the correct ones), but just maps applied to the wrong pieces (the right ones are normals instead of diffuses). Since the folder has definitely too many textures in .dds format and I wouldn't really know what goes where, is there a way to automatically fix this issue, since I know that many people used this tool to capture models and import them in XNA?
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Re: 3D Ripper DX

Post by thePWA »

There is another ripper I think its called Ninja Ripper http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9782 personally haven't used it but it's supposed to be as good or even better than 3D Ripper.
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
rexil
Porter
Custom Rank: Hu3Hu3

Post by rexil »

Ninja Ripper is not good for sceneries, since it will rip everything in the center not in their place.
You could try Game Assassin, it can rip model in the posed state which will rip sceneries correctly.
┬░┬░┬░┬░┬░Why so Serious?┬░┬░┬░┬░┬░
Runa

Post by Runa »

rexil wrote:Ninja Ripper is not good for sceneries, since it will rip everything in the center not in their place.
You could try Game Assassin, it can rip model in the posed state which will rip sceneries correctly.
But Game Assassin doesn't usually rip things with screwed up UVs? I use it to rip models from EVE Online and I have to manually fix them all the time. I seriously can't think to fix them for 100 mesh pieces D:
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Post by thePWA »

Sorry not much help from me. The only one I know right now who has gotten scenery-ripping down to an artform is fil. Hopefully he'd be able to help?
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
Runa

Post by Runa »

I might be wrong, but I think fullm8n used 3D Ripper many times to extract scenaries (at least I'm sure she used it to rip environments from Alice In Wonderland). I could ask her just in case... and eventually post the solution here (if there is one) so that it could be helpful :D
rexil
Porter
Custom Rank: Hu3Hu3

Post by rexil »

Runa wrote:
rexil wrote:Ninja Ripper is not good for sceneries, since it will rip everything in the center not in their place.
But Game Assassin doesn't usually rip things with screwed up UVs? I use it to rip models from EVE Online and I have to manually fix them all the time. I seriously can't think to fix them for 100 mesh pieces D:
Not really it always worked fine with the games I used it.
┬░┬░┬░┬░┬░Why so Serious?┬░┬░┬░┬░┬░
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

EVE Online's UVs are always messed up, even with Ninja Ripper, so its not just GameAssassin :P
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
Runa

Post by Runa »

TRDaz wrote:EVE Online's UVs are always messed up, even with Ninja Ripper, so its not just GameAssassin :P
Ahhh I thought it was a GA problem XD

Well, since fullm8n told me that sadly there is any way to automatically fix this 3D Ripper issue, I think I might give a try to another capture tool. Or else I will just need to manually apply every single map and see which one is correct :?

EDIT: Warning! Game Assasin doesn't work with AC. It screwes everthing up :\
Runa

Post by Runa »

Hey guys! I finally managed to use 3D Ripper, but I have a little problem (you don't say? XD)

Is there a specific way to set the correct textures when you import the ripped stuff in 3DS Max? Because I read that textures are automatically loaded... which is true, but for some reason I only got some normal maps applied instead of diffuses and some meshes are totally white/black or have a wrong textue.