Shenmue

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Shenmue

Post by MisterHentai »

Shenmue (1999)

Shenmue II (2001)

Original Sega Saturn Version Footage
Thread on all talk about this classic proto-open world "FREE" game series by the legendary Yu Suzuki.

Originally a Sega Saturn game but shifted to Dreamcast.

An ambitious and technical masterpiece for it's time and also once the most expensive developed game at £70 million dollars.

The series that coined the term "Quick Time Event".

Many game design and concepts would be used for Sega's spiritual successor, the Ryu ga Gotoku / Yakuza series.
----------------------------------------
Revealed just recently at Sony's E3 2015 Press Conference, Yu Suzuki had announced that after 14 years since the 2nd game, Shenmue III will finally be made, but with a catch. It needs a total of $2 Million pledge at Kickstarter to make the game truly official! It will be developed using Unreal Engine 4 and will be coming exclusively to PS4 and PC.

This series was my late teens to early adulthood, so I have a massive amount of nostalgia and wanting to see it's epic saga concluded. If you are a fan of 1980's Chinese and Japanese culture and Martial Arts adventure films, this could be for you. I already gave my pledge and as of this current time, it is almost there! :yes:

"Do you know where I can find some sailors?"

--------------------------

Added Shenmue: The Movie

English Voice Version.

Japanese Version.
Last edited by MisterHentai on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Re: Shenmue

Post by iheartibuki »

I have a Dreamcast and sadly, I never played this game. Before GTA and all the crap that came out there was Shenmue. I will be pledging sometime this week. :D
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah GTAIII may be a much larger and open world game, but it was mainly all about it's sheer scale and thus lacks the exquisite attention to detail to the smaller things that Shenmue has. Not to mention the obvious differences in their genres and what each is meant to be any way.

Considering Shenmue was a Saturn game originally and came much longer before, that is a given due to technological limitations of it's time.

But it's also the living breathing world of the NPCs is what sets Shenmue apart from everything else and even today, not a lot of games, including some of the modern open world ones, can compare to the amount of detail and programming that it had. I've mentioned before that even the Yakuza series is a step backwards in some regards, but it's also necessary direction to make. It's one of the advantages Shenmue's small town scale can give.

As much as I like Shenmue, it definitely wasn't perfect since it was kind of clunky, flawed, and obviously didn't so so well and had almost bankrupt Sega. But if you look at what it tries to do and dive deep into the finer technical aspects, you can probably appreciate it more and see why some people revere it. Even get an idea of why it cost so much at the time. And then the story and setting themselves being a whole other subject too.

As for S3, I can only afford the $60 pledge at the moment, due to other commitments i.e. mostly preparing for Fibre Internet :okay: and whatever the damn Steam sales will have too. Otherwise I would glady do the $100 one so I can haz my name in the credits! :LOL: :snarage:
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

It's already breaking $1.5 mill.........

my <3 :sweat: :excited: :runcry: :dizzy:

I won't have time to change my pledge at this rate. Oh well. :runcry:

There's more Shenmue fans than realised! :o
Dank Buttsen

iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

Hehe I haven't checked the Kickstarter page yet, but if there's a tier which gives you a physical version for PC then that'll be my pledge tier. I did pledge $175 on Bloodstained on Friday, gotta be careful with these pledges tho. Even with big names like Yu Suzuki, Iga these crowdfunding stuff can still fail miserably. Though I really, really hope not! :?
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

raidergale
Porter
Custom Rank: Marie's my waifu kthx

Post by raidergale »

H, you should be able to change your pledge even if it was successfully funded as long as it's still in the funding period (so until July 18th :P)

Edit: aaand it's funded :P
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

$3 mill! :o #DazDed
Famitsu then ask what kind of open world one can expect to see in Shenmue III.

ÔÇ£Everyone must be thinking that weÔÇÖll expand the open world more, but IÔÇÖve been deeply questioning whether or not to do that instead,ÔÇØ says Suzuki. ÔÇ£If we were to have 100 characters and split the budget among them, weÔÇÖd be limited in terms of what we could do with each one; however, if we were to split that budget among just 10 characters, we could do a lot more with them.ÔÇØ

He continues, ÔÇ£For example, we could set a parameter for Ling Shen Hua, then we could have it change her attitude depending on the conversations, or the way one proceeds through quests. Of course, that doesnÔÇÖt mean that it wonÔÇÖt be an open world game. A stretch goal on Kickstarter will determine the expansion of the city.ÔÇØ

Finally, Yu Suzuki shared more on ideas he has for Shenmure IIIÔÇÖs QTE (Quick Time Event) system.

ÔÇ£IÔÇÖd like to present a new QTE. Something elaborate, yet easily playable by just about anyone,ÔÇØ says Suzuki. ÔÇ£Instead of simply winning by pressing buttons in a timely manner, IÔÇÖd like to make something that will have people win fights by making correct judgements.ÔÇØ

Siliconera
A more focused experience is what I would like, and yeah, instead of trying to compete with such open large scales that many open world games have done with the modern GTA's, Elder Scrolls games etc, they should keep to it's core basics. Basically what Shenmue I and II already did but with better quality........ as easy that that sounds. :pi:

Much of it is already done before and set in stone, if they can just modernise it to make it feel less cumbersome and clunky, then they could be onto something.

And the QTE thing sounds similar to what the Yakuza series does. If it's a variation of that then I personally don't mind. Less of the brain dead mashing the same button type and more of multiple choice/twitch response would be my thing.
Dank Buttsen

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Well given the rate the pledges were made, it comes as no surprise that this was the fastest crowd founded videogame ever, so much it set the Guiness World Record for it reaching $1 million in a short amount of time. :yes:
Dank Buttsen

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Originally released in theatres across Japan (Yes really!) and later became an extra bonus for the western release on the original Xbox, Shenmue: The Movie.

It's basically the cutscenes with some gameplay from the first game spliced together to form a film. Some events may be in different order, and definitely is spoilers sure, but is still useful as a recap for old and new alike.

In before bad voice acting .... it's a 1999 game, what do you expect? :LOL:

English Voice Version.

Japanese Version.
Dank Buttsen

RoxasKennedy
Porter
Custom Rank: ßâÜ(ÔòÑ´╣ÅÔòÑßâÜ)

Post by RoxasKennedy »

I managed to get this game running on nullDC without problems

But why is moving Ryo so bad.
It's like half-tank, half-analog controls. :LOL:
Hey guys, Marlboro-Chan here