Western Animashun

Talk about whatever.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Dazzy, iheartibuki

fatslacker
Custom Rank: Noobster

Western Animashun

Post by fatslacker »

Per TVTropes, these are animated shows originating from Americas, Western Europe, Australia, or New Zealand. Post your thoughts away!
To start, LeSean Thomas' Cannon Busters shows promise. If he pools enough in Kickstarter, then this show's on the road.

If he ain't familiar, he worked as a character designer for this:

and this:
Unpersoned
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: Western Animashun

Post by MisterHentai »

Man, the Anime influence for Cannon Busters and Black Dynamite are so obvious. Goes to show the state of the Western animation industry. :mis:

The only things I keep up with are either the DC or Marvel animated films or the very rare feature film, which to be honest the last I can even remember was The Iron Giant, so that is a long time ago for that. This was like the height and ending era of traditional animations with the likes of Treasure Island and The Road to El Dorado as well. These days, it's just CG stuff, whether it's Disney or Dreamworks franchises or whatever.

Otherwise, not much I keep up with because frankly, there just isn't anything at the moment that is appealing to me since traditionally, the bulk of Western animations especially TV stuff are in it's standard mindset of mostly gearing towards children. Star Wars: Rebels, a series that I am actually watching, is exactly that. That's why I'm mainly only interested if there is a random feature film since they are generally adult oriented.

I was a 80's and 90's kid so I'm alot more familiar the load of classic TV or Disney stuff that was during those times. Having satellite cable during the 90's where I had Cartoon Network, Fox Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney., now those were some good times.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
fatslacker

Post by fatslacker »

MisterHentai wrote:Man, the Anime influence for Cannon Busters and Black Dynamite are so obvious. Goes to show the state of the Western animation industry. :mis:
To note, that particular opening scene was animated by Hiroyuki Imaishi of TTGL fame. Thomas loves his animu! Aren't TV shows outsourcing Jap or SoKor animation studios?
MisterHentai wrote:The only things I keep up with are either the DC or Marvel animated films or the very rare feature film, which to be honest the last I can even remember was The Iron Giant, so that is a long time ago for that. This was like the height and ending era of traditional animations with the likes of Treasure Island and The Road to El Dorado as well. These days, it's just CG stuff, whether it's Disney or Dreamworks franchises or whatever.
In terms of animated films, DC bags the cake. They have at least believable scripts to work on. Although lauded as being too generic these days, Phil Bourassa's character designs for DC always hypes me.
MisterHentai wrote:I was a 80's and 90's kid so I'm alot more familiar the load of classic TV or Disney stuff that was during those times. Having satellite cable during the 90's where I had Cartoon Network, Fox Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney., now those were some good times.
Most of them had very engaging plots such as Gargoyles. Now these storylines are rehashed by newer shows due to lack of content. In addition, I could not even find some of the obscure ones on the net such as Bots Masters. Ah, nostalgia filter creeping in.
Unpersoned
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Post by MisterHentai »

Quite alot of animations have actually been outsourced to Japan or South Korea for ages, but the past decade or so has seen Western animations using the same techniques and styles that Anime do so it goes to show how better or efficient in some ways it has become.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
fatslacker

Post by fatslacker »

They only releasin' diz to backers. Sigh. I wish I was able to back this too.
Unpersoned
fatslacker

Post by fatslacker »

Colorful indeed.
Unpersoned