NiOh (Le Samurai Dank Souls!)

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: NiOh (Le Samurai Dank Souls!)

Post by MisterHentai »

Watching some streams and b00bt00b videos of the first few hours of the game, it unashamedly starts out as a traditional Souls game. :LOL:.

You begin bare bones/nekkid in a dank prison (Tower of London in this case) and then working your way up through the dankness. :mis: :evillaugh:
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Vonman
Custom Rank: Oil King

Post by Vonman »

i wanted to try but it looks extremely difficult that it would be frustrating than fun.

tfw nippon Geralt dies within 1 or 2 hits by a peasant :feel:
Vonman
Custom Rank: Oil King

Post by Vonman »

this reminds me so much of tenchu! :o
im tempted to get this game now... but i know i will suck at it :runcry:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Didn't you play Bloodborne? :LOL:

Surely that experience should prepare you, just expect this game to be alot more faster and fluid.

Also, this game has it's own "Blighttown" area. :mis:
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
RoxasKennedy
Porter
Custom Rank: ßâÜ(ÔòÑ´╣ÅÔòÑßâÜ)

Post by RoxasKennedy »

MisterHentai wrote:Also, this game has it's own "Blighttown" area. :mis:
Ugh, just the mention of that name gets me triggered
Hey guys, Marlboro-Chan here
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Initial Feelz

After first two tries I was already bored with the game, but I gave it another shot today. Wasn't even the difficulty, just the potential repetition of doing the same crap over again and save points are spaced out too much. I also really had to ratchet up the brightness. That finally made it playable. Only died once on the first boss. :ohn: Still much Ninja Gaiden & Toukiden similarities. Yes, I'm totally going to keep comparing it to Ninja Gaiden....

Just so H keeps getting triggered everytime I do :evillaugh:

Visually, it's really nice. Of course they give the tutorial AFTER the intro mission. :LOL: Doesn't strike me as too difficult yet, just have to get back into the mindset of trial and error problem solving...
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

As I was concerned might happen, spent all weekend playing this. The difficulty finally popped up. I don't know how Souls games manifest their difficulty, but TN still but tons of Ninja Gaiden levels of bull crap in it. The 2nd boss is essentially Alma 2.0. It took me better part of 5 hours to figure out a solution. Didn't help that it took a bit to learn now to zig zag through enemies since there wasn't even a save point next to the boss area combined with always respawning enemies. :rage: NG's Black Spider Ninja's are certainly back too. Only saw 3 so far, but they were sure tucked into a corner of one map.

Overall the experience is still good. I'm losing interest in the randomized looting system much how Shadow Warrior 2 was and RPG's, etc. It gets old having to micro manage an inventory full of marginally different stuff. There are also some interesting quirks that reveal the length of the game's development time. Some cinematics are in game engine, with english, while others are silhouetted/shadow history recaps, or all japanese with subtitles, or even still images with blocks of text. Nothing wrong with it, but it's slightly disjointed.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Triggered by what? The fact made obvious the Ninja Gaiden components of the game is the 60fps animation, feel and responsiveness of the combat and gameplay, which at the end of the day is still bound and limited by Souls inspired design mechanics? Things that I've already mentioned before, so ...... ?

Sparse saving/checkpoint areas by the Shrines is the very much the fundamental Souls experience (Like the Bonfires and Lanterns of Dank and Bloodborne respectively), so the respawning world enemies everytime you use them and having to make arduous treks between places is very much that. It's part punishing, but also supposed to make you learn and can be beneficial since you can just farm like crazy if you choose so. The biggest difference though is how Nioh is still old fashioned stage based areas whereas the Souls games are larger semi-open connected "Metroidvania" environments.

Random loot is the Diablo influence that they developers made very clear about for their inspiration and annoying as it may be, at least it is far more rewarding than the actual Souls games themselves.

Besides, it is still an RPG, and the game was originally started out as a traditional one too, so that legacy is still there. Disjointed as it may be, it's supposed to be a very authentic JAHPAN, the way the story and narrative is presented, the language barrier is a deliberate design, and end of the day this is still Koei's game.

Due it's developmental history, with all it's added changing design choices and influences, it's no wonder this game has been fascinating and become positive since it encompasses everything of what Koei is known for, but is also a wonderful return to form for Team Ninja in the action genre. The combination of both house experiences essentially made this a true Koei Tecmo game.
Dank Buttsen

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I dunno, just seems like you'd rather debate the proximity to Souls than NG, :lol: I get it that it's close to Souls in mechanics, but still so much of TN's experience with NG is there for me. I agree it's almost like a greatest hits for a Koei game. I don't see much Warriors-esque stuff in there, but otherwise it's definitely like they pooled talent from multiple groups.

There is still some mechanical stuff that is 100% NG from NG1. The scarcity of save points & spawning enemies is an NG1 thing, long before Souls, or older for all I know. If anything Nioh is far more generous. In some NG scenarios it was impossible to reach the boss without a couple platforms and/or forced enemy fights. So far, I've at least found a save point 'near' bosses with avoidable cases. Also many of the animations still feel like they're right out of NG.

Diablo for random loot doesn't surprise me. Never played it. I think my first random loot game was Too Human.

I know the art style is clearly Japanese, but even with being a KT game, other games like Toukiden were consistent overall in the story presentation.

Maybe you can clarify the emphasis on stances, because in most cases I'm not finding much incentive to change weapons or stances all that much, other than for familitary/stat reasons. High stance feels mostly useless. I've only found a couple cases in which I've needed single/dual katana, and one explicit need for the spear. Otherwise, it's almost always been Kusari-gama in low/mid stance. I'm still using Ninja Gaiden tactics and most(not all) of the time its working still. Current 3 stages in, :think:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

People's own experiences and perspective with the game type is one thing, but when practically the entire majority of players, reviews and oh yeah, the developers themselves make it well known, and given that this game now only exists and is successful because of the Souls influence, it's pretty clear why that is important and deserves mention.

I mean, the real simple question and thought that should have been asked in the first place is why they couldn't get this game done without it then? Both Koei and Tecmo have plentiful of experience in making action games themselves, yet they still struggled in getting the idea of this game out. After some very poor quality of releases in the past few years like say, Ninja Gaiden 3, I mean what, did they just lose their edge and couldn't make games anymore? They tried to copy and add in some trends of the gaming generation at the time (The typical JAHPAN philosophy of "This is what WE think the Western audience thinks is cool!"), and that bite them in the ass heavily. Yet ironically enough, they use another gaming trend that is been very popular this decade, one which hilariously is more JAHPAN based, and suddenly it all seems good? Hence shots fired at the now return to form for TN. Hell they actually even experimented in having a standard Ninja Gaiden action style one point, but even that failed them.

The type of save checkpoints and spawning enemies system have existed in other games before, namely the other action games in the same genre like the usual suspects of Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, God of War etc. The biggest difference is how it is implemented and done for the game and player. Those games, because they are simple pure action games, you practically have near complete freedom of control without limits and restraints when it comes to combat and traversing. You can mash, dance, hop. paltform around like an idiot and brain dead your way through for the most part. Unless it's in a hard difficulty, there are almost no real penalties and punishment for the way or length you play or die. Nioh and of course the Souls games that inspired it, because of their grounded RPG component and mechanics, they have real limits and restrictions in place and therefore requires more awareness, methodical play and pacing. All which is also reflected in the level/world design and enemy placement and general difficulty that is deliberate to mess you up. Then you have the most punishing and infamous mechanic in a Souls game, and that is the binding of player death and the loss of the game's respective souls/blood/orbs/whatever currency. All these games have some form of trial and error in their gameplay and difficulty, but there is also very clear distinction the types and methods implemented and the ease of where saves/checkpoints are at.

As for Toukiden, it's so far heavy up it's ass in JAHPAN Anime mythological fantasy RPG themes, it's a different beast altogether. It's very much a Monster Hunter type of videogame game. Nioh keeps it's roots in Koei's tradition of real-life based historical simulations with fantastical or supernatural elements. Add in all the past Kurosawa film script connections, media and traditional JRPG origins this game had, there is a reason for it's particular and classic Japanese art and novel heavy presentation.

For the Stances, that is basically dependent on your own choice for whatever playstyle, character class and weapons to use for any given time and scenario e.g. If you are going Ninja, then obviously the Low stance is where it's at to be fast attack, mobile and easy on the stamina, but at the cost of being weak, i.e. archetype crit/stunner. If you want heavy weapon/armour classic Souls type experience, then High is where it is at for the powerful but riskier slower play. Mid is for the standard balanced type of play.
Dank Buttsen