I'm new, and so, so confused. Too many bones. Please help!

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Ems
Porter
Custom Rank: Stashing stuff I like.

Re: I'm new, and so, so confused. Too many bones. Please hel

Post by Ems »

Okay. While we're at it, are you using some custom mods for your elf face? I am browsing through texture files Padme4000 provides, and I can't find a proper face normal map that would be similar to yours. What's your source of textures? Clothes seem to be good, while only face normal map is somehow messed up.

EDIT: apparently original DA:I format is 3Dc, which uses X and Y format for normals, which gets messed up during conversion to RGB. But I also saw proper DA:I textures out there, so extraction method must've changed, or someone, somewhere didn't knew how to do things.
Ems
Porter

Post by Ems »

Ok, here you go. My previous post still relevant, so I can update with correct textures if you can find them.

List of changes:

* cleaned mesh
* removed unused bones
* applied textures
* corrected swizzle coordinates for normal maps (all but face)
* created custom textures for eyes (normal/spec maps)
* baked/applied lightmaps
* left a backup of .mesh file containing removed bones just in case
* changed lash texture for something more natural looking and in correct format
* duplicated eye mesh and added imitated reflection
* added preview image

List of stuff that still could be done:

* renaming bones
* finding correctly extracted normal map for face
* finding original cloth textures containing alpha channel for the small chain on the boots

download here
Last edited by Ems on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enchantment1385
Custom Rank: noob

Post by Enchantment1385 »

:o :hug2: :hug: OH my god! Thank you! Thank you so much, I am literally crying happy tears right now! I'm sure that sounds crazy, but I can't tell you how much your kindness means! :please:
Yes he was modded. That was a big issue for the person who worked on him originally, not just his face textures but hair, and eyes too. I feel like a right pain.
Ems
Porter

Post by Ems »

All right, can you find me a link to these mods if it's on some site like Nexus or something? Sometimes modders add source textures for editing, but if we can't get those, it's up to you if we leave it as it is, or replace with the default texture from the game.

And now why I'm saying that: (tangent space) normal map is a texture baked from differences between original, high poly sculpt and low poly mesh which is used in game.

It's a texture that defines your character's face (in this case) structure and detail like cheek bones, wrinkles, creases, scars, pores, skin, etc etc. In its current state, the shaders and light won't render on it correctly, which will be especially prominent in renderers like Blender's Cycles, it will be also noticeable in XPS with some light settings - usually resulting in weird shadows, colour differences, inverted height at places where should not be and so on.

tldr: Faeron_face_n.png is totally broken. I have the default male elf texture which yours was based upon, but I don't have details which were changed: lips and scar.
Enchantment1385
Custom Rank: noob

Post by Enchantment1385 »

Ems wrote:All right, can you find me a link to these mods if it's on some site like Nexus or something? Sometimes modders add source textures for editing, but if we can't get those, it's up to you if we leave it as it is, or replace with the default texture from the game.

And now why I'm saying that: (tangent space) normal map is a texture baked from differences between original, high poly sculpt and low poly mesh which is used in game.

It's a texture that defines your character's face (in this case) structure and detail like cheek bones, wrinkles, creases, scars, pores, skin, etc etc. In its current state, the shaders and light won't render on it correctly, which will be especially prominent in renderers like Blender's Cycles, it will be also noticeable in XPS with some light settings - usually resulting in weird shadows, colour differences, inverted height at places where should not be and so on.

tldr: Faeron_face_n.png is totally broken. I have the default male elf texture which yours was based upon, but I don't have details which were changed: lips and scar.
I see! I was looking at his scar thinking... hmm... That doesn't seem quite right to me... :shock:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ga4yhqjpawcxpug/Ciaran%20Face%20Texture-583-1-0.rar This is the face texture I use for him.
Ems
Porter

Post by Ems »

Mkay.

I looked at this, and unfortunately DA:I mod maker, which is necessary for opening .daimod archives, requires me to have the game installed. I don't own it, nor I am interested in it, so I can't help with that.

This link is, as I understand a tutorial to extract stuff from the game, although a bit old. I may be wrong, but if you have the your mod installed, you can browse to those textures and attempt to export them with the mod maker. Can't be sure. Eventually, contact the tutorial author, they seem competent in DA:I extraction/conversion.