Help for choose a new pc

Talk about whatever.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Dazzy, iheartibuki

Astro Nero

Help for choose a new pc

Post by Astro Nero »

Hi guys, I'm new in this 3d art stuff so I need some help for choose a new laptop considering that mine is now a bit old (for example in XnaLara if I put more than 5 models in the same scene I have problems with the textures).
My intention is also learn and use Daz for the rendering.
I don't know what to look for in a computer that would qualify for that, so any help is appreciated. :)
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: Help for choose a new pc

Post by MisterHentai »

:hi: and welcome to a dead place. :evillaugh:

First of all and the most important, what is your budget?

XNALara/XPS is a pretty much decade+ old program at it's core now, so it won't be surprising if it chugs about, whether it's old or modern spec computers. Even then it depends on the quality and year/era of the game models that are being used e.g. most older stuff from the PS3/360 era works the best (XNA Framework is this period). Current-gen PS4/PC/Xbone is where it's showing it's ancientness, which is why many users are moving to Blender etc.

And if you looking into Daz rendering and all that for the future ..... I believe it may have to be more Nvidia GPU focused? :snathink:
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Astro Nero

Post by Astro Nero »

[quote="MisterHentai"]:

Thanks for the response!
My intention is buy a laptop (I can spend no more than 2.000Ôé¼) and use it for renders but also for 3d Modeling.
I'm interested in programs like Photoshop, XnaLara, Blender and Daz3d (Genesis looks very fun).

Daz for the rendering use the GPU and not the CPU?
In this case a GeForce RTX 2060 (6Gb) or a GeForce RTX 2070 (8Gb) could be a good choice?

For what I learned, Rendering and 3d Modeling requires two different types of CPU and for that it's better use two different computers.
But if I render with the GPU I don't need no more the CPU and in this case I can do all with the same computer, right?

Maybe I wrote stupid things, but I really don't know how this works. xD
XNAaraL
XPS Author

Post by XNAaraL »

Astro Nero wrote:
MisterHentai wrote::

Thanks for the response!
My intention is buy a laptop (I can spend no more than 2.000Ôé¼) and use it for renders but also for 3d Modeling.
I'm interested in programs like Photoshop, XnaLara, Blender and Daz3d (Genesis looks very fun).

Daz for the rendering use the GPU and not the CPU?
In this case a GeForce RTX 2060 (6Gb) or a GeForce RTX 2070 (8Gb) could be a good choice?

For what I learned, Rendering and 3d Modeling requires two different types of CPU and for that it's better use two different computers.
But if I render with the GPU I don't need no more the CPU and in this case I can do all with the same computer, right?

Maybe I wrote stupid things, but I really don't know how this works. xD
I love my (old) ASUS ROG Gaming Notebook. I use it for gaming, modeling and rendering.

A computer with a higher screen resolution 17" or 19" (15.6" diagonal is not enough) and a relatively large screen size serves you the best. The gaming laptops have great graphics and performance, and hence suits your needs for 3D modelling and rendering too.
Howsoever, if you want to render real-time reflections or real-time shadows, you need one, or better two, RTX (ray tracing) GPU's. Each of them costs more than you want to spend on the entire computer system!
Besides that, you can also choose the NVIDIA RTX 2070 for 3D modeling and rendering thanks to its superior GPU render value.
The best GPUs are the NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti, NVIDIA RTX 2080, NVIDIA RTX 2070, and NVIDIA RTX 2060.
Bear in mind that a single GPU renderer can outperform 20 CPUs thanks to its considerable amount of processors.

CPU with more cores will usually clock at lower rates. Faster clocking, on the other hand, can be done using fewer CPU cores. Increased clock rate of turbo boost is only limited to the power and thermal limits of the processor. The Turbo boost will clock two cores back down the moment these limits are met. For $1,700, the Threadripper 3960x is brimming with 48 threads and 24 cores that offer solid generational performance.
To succeed in 3D modeling, you need to have a workstation CPU that has a superior clock speed. Having a multi-core CPU is also essential in rendering.
IntelÔÇÖs i9 9900K is among the top CPUs for these processes. It is geared with eight cores along with 5 GHz turbo boost and clocks at 3.6 GHz.
If you have a reasonable budget, opt for AMDÔÇÖs Ryzen 9 3900X. It is packed with 12 cores, making it an excellent in multi-core rendering, painting, sculpting, and texturing 3D models.

Daz Studio can use for rendering either the CPU or the GPU.
Running on Windows 10, read about an downright dangerous problem there --> https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion ... -using-gpu

If you can spend no more than 2.000Ôé¼, it is BS that rendering and 3D Modeling would requires two different types of CPU.
Read more "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach"
And even if you render with the GPU, you will still need the CPU.

Having sufficient RAM in your system enables your device to store a significant amount of information. Likewise, it also gives you the green light to perform multiple tasks at once, therefore, hastening your workflow.
However, in 3D rendering and modeling, RAM speeds are typically ignored because it makes little difference in the performance. This is why sometimes it makes no sense to replace a DDR4-2666 RAM with an expensive DDR4-4166 RAM.
Even though there are plenty of brands to choose from, it is advisable to opt for a RAM that will fit with your use case. For 3D artists that work on a vast number of polygon counts, it is appropriate to select RAM that has at least 32GB of RAM.

How to Build or Buy the Best Workstation Computer for 3D Modeling and Rendering in 2020

BTW:
A 15" screen for modeling or rendering is BS.
Do not read --> The 8 Best Laptops For 3D Modeling and Rendering in 2020 ÔÇô Reviews and Comparison