Nuances of the Fighting Genre

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Re: Nuances of the Fighting Genre

Post by iheartibuki »

I was one of the >10K people who voted. You know what my vote is. :LOL:

EDIT: Looks like this might happen after all

"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I'm on the side of the fans for that to happen, but I really want to :facepalm: so hard at the 'supposed' obliviousness to their markets.
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

I always blame these things to the empty suits who run these companies instead. 8-) In this case it's Dubdbudubdubdubya Beeeeeeee WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111 :LOL:

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I know that WB has had their hand in other bad PC ports, but I don't let devs off the hook. It's 'their' product, if they don't make a stand on side of an issue or another then they're just as guilty. I don't buy into the 'Welp, we can't do anything unless the publisher says'. It's a very scape goat-esque mentality.

Plus some of NRS' bad habits have been there long before WB ever came onto the scene.
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Post by MisterHentai »

:shock:
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

What a bunch of junk, and here I was reading everywhere else that it actually hit 2 million :LOL:
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

ProtocolX27 wrote:I know that WB has had their hand in other bad PC ports, but I don't let devs off the hook. It's 'their' product, if they don't make a stand on side of an issue or another then they're just as guilty. I don't buy into the 'Welp, we can't do anything unless the publisher says'. It's a very scape goat-esque mentality.

Plus some of NRS' bad habits have been there long before WB ever came onto the scene.
But what are you gonna do though if the higher ups tell you sh*t can't be done? In my personal experience if you go rogue then your head's gonna roll. I'm pretty sure NRS has some share of the blame, but I wouldn't put most of it on them.

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I know what you mean based on how our corporate culture works. I just happen to be in staunch disagreement with it, since I've had privilege to work for companies that don't operate like that, I believe doing the right thing is about doing the right thing regardless of $ or what someone in a higher management dictates. For me, if that becomes a strong enough discord it's time to move on.

But yeah, NRS isn't the type to balk at the purse holders on moral principle. They are the company that profits on visceral depiction of decapitations after all. My annoyance is also in part, that I've met Ed, and that 'my hands are tied' sentiment was forefront in the conversation. "No spine here, it's already done been fatalitied out" :LOL: * probably MK1 Sub-Zero's 1st victim *
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

If we're talking about principles then I couldn't agree more. I've had situations at work where I wanted to help someone and was told xyz was not our responsibility. It feels bad when you know you could've made a lot of difference and was told to do otherwise in the name of "CYA". I've also worked in an environment that is counter-culture to this type of mindset (aka probably 99% of the company) and loved every second of it for about 7 years, so I understand where you're coming from. Albeit, the whole thing about moving on when things don't go your way is sometimes easier said than done, especially with the economic climate for the last 8 years or so (or at least that's the typical excuse we're hearing :lol:). I'm sure Ed Boon would like to have a paycheck every other week or so, and it's not really just selling out IMO, sometimes you need to do it to survive. Our favorite Japanese devs who've gone indie have yet to prove themselves through crowdfunding, and even if they do succeed the cashflow is temporary so creating that good impression among gamers is a huge must.

The key thing for me is to look around when you get into said situation and when you find something that has comparable compensation, work load, challenges, with more fun and a better culture, you make the jump. ;)

In other news, I knew this was bound to happen! :LOL:

Yes, le SF guest in FR is getting the nerf bat! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Yep, I do get it in, and a lot of that does have to do with fear of losing the income source that puts food on the table. I don't agree with how corporate culture has bred that sentiment that people are discouraged from doing the right thing by customers through speaking up at the expense of their position. In NRS case, it's not mind boggling ethics to think that people should get what is a reasonable expectation upon purchasing a product, in the PC's case something that functions well. The industry is taking a bath with negative sentiment because even the minimum is not delivered anymore at least in terms of core functionality and customer service, but there's always more high profit margin content to be bought :LOL:

And yup Akuma can't Messatsu at speeds fast enough to evade the balance stick :LOL: