The Witcher Series

Recaps for models from games!

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

ssringo

Re: The Witcher Series

Post by ssringo »

Tried your import script for w2mesh files and couldn't get it to work. Well, it worked the first time when I did a trial run on some eyes (waiting on everything to uncook). After that first try it keeps giving me an error

"Can not load this ascii file unknown"
"Can not load **directory to the file i tried importing**\generic_item.mesh.ascii Loading error"

Tried it with a clean copy of XPS with that script being the only new thing. Tried various models including the eyes that worked the first time. Same result.

Trying to do anything with this game's models is infuriating.

Edit: For clarification, you don't just drop the script in the folder right? You gotta rename it to 'XpsImportExportScript.cs' to replace the default script XPS comes with? Since that's what it defaults to using (an fbx import) if I don't rename.
XNAaraL
XPS Author

Post by XNAaraL »

Uncooked ?
Sounds like you have not used the tool QuickBms ... and the files with the Extension w2mesh.1.buffer are missing.

BTW:
I have updated my (WIP) script.
+ Calculate Normals
+ Converts now faster than light
- still a unfinished WIP (Because the ModKit exists now)
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

So I spent some time this past weekend messing around with the tools XNAaraL has released and had pretty good success with them. I didn't really like using the wardrobe in XPS as I prefer a single model (unless I missed something in how it works). Anyways, once you get the head, hair and facial parts put together it's pretty easy to put a body (outfit) together and pop the head onto it. I do have a couple questions.

-What models are being worked on by others? There isn't a good WIP list and I don't want to possibly release something that a veteran porter is working on.

-Is there a good way to get a proper hair texture for a model? The extracted hair textures aren't necessarily with the associated hair and they're also all without color. I assume the game changes the coloring based on the character but I suck ass at messing with textures. I know if you convert the .w2mesh into an .fbx with the CDPR modding tools they will show up with the proper color but once you extract the textures they're back to being colorless.

Also, XNAaraL, the parenting of bones around the mouth could be revised slightly. Parenting the 'chin' to the 'lower middle lip' and then the 2 lower mouth bones (not on my home PC so can't remember their names, I'll edit this later if I remember :D) to the jaw will fix the issue of having the mouth area messed up when rotating the jaw bone.
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

No veteran porter here, but I've expressed interest in working on Keira Metz's default outfit. :) Problem is I don't have any of the files. If somebody can send them to me then I can perhaps help out with figuring stuff out. The instructions at the mod site seems clear enough, but of course all this weird stuff everyone's getting might be a problem with missing steps from the instructions.
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

ssringo

Post by ssringo »

Only issue with uploading the files is that they might not all be in said character's model folder. There are a lot of shared model parts and textures in other directories and the only way to be sure you get everything is to basically put the model together beforehand or upload all the files from the shared folders as well. The modding tools from CDPR also seem to need the entire "uncooked" directory in order to work (likely due to needing access to all the shared resources for converting). XNAaraL's tools just need the extracted files from the quickbms script but don't know what textures to use (yet) and you still need to extract the textures separately or just download them. Which you can from a MEGA link here

http://jlouisb.users.sourceforge.net/tu ... odels.html

I don't have very good upload speeds so I can't really share a lot of files.
Anx

Post by Anx »

Right, there are a lot of shared model parts and textures in other directories and the best way to be sure you get everything is to open the .w2ent files with notepad and you need to search for strings like ".w2mesh".

The "Philippa Eilhart" folder contains a file body_01__filippa.w2ent.
And this file contains the strings for the missing body part and the missing shoes:
characters\models\crowd_npc\novigrad_sorceress_woman\torso\model\ta0_01_wa__sorceress_body.w2mesh characters\models\crowd_npc\novigrad_citizen_woman\shoes\model\s_03_wa__novigrad_citizen.w2mesh
and all other model parts.

@iheartibuki
If you want to make Keira Metz, as a single model, then I will send all the files to you ... tomorrow. <3
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

Oh man, thanks for that info. :high: It wasn't very fun looking at pictures of a character and then chain loading model parts trying to figure out what would be the correct parts. Just need a way to get correct colors for the textures now.
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

@Anx, thank you, I would very much appreciate that. :) :hug2:

@ssringo, thanks for the link, I saw a different instruction set, that would be very useful.
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

Ems
Porter
Custom Rank: Stashing stuff I like.

Post by Ems »

iheartibuki wrote:@ssringo, thanks for the link, I saw a different instruction set, that would be very useful.
KITTIES!
Anx

Post by Anx »

@iheartibuki: np
@ssringo, I have take a look into the Noesis plugin, and this plugin ignores the .fbx color informations completely :(

Code: Select all

# vertex colors
			outFile.writeString("255 255 255 255" + "\r\n",0)
The colors are hard wired :roll:

Somebody with more experience, like semory, should fix it! No offence :pi:

EDIT:
@xnaaral

Perhaps, modify your script like this

Code: Select all

# vertex colors
			# outFile.writeString("255 255 255 255" + "\r\n",0)
			for vcmp in mesh.colors[vertexNumber]:
			 	outFile.writeString(str(round(vcmp * 255)) + " ",0)
			outFile.writeString("# colors\r\n",0)
to retain the .fbx color informations inside the mesh.ascii file No offence