Whats your favorite old school console?

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

Arch-vile
Custom Rank: Negative Creep

Re: Whats your favorite old school console?

Post by Arch-vile »

Oh god Rise of the Robots. I rented it one time. It had cool looking cutscenes, but gameplay was horrendous. I could never figured out any of the moves and when playing a two player match, player one always had to be the main cyborg while player two could choose any of the robots. There was a sequel on Playstation and it was just as bad.

I loved Mortal Kombat when I was young. I remember showing my mom Sub-Zero's fatality :lol: Throughout the day she kept saying "I can't believe you showed me that"
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah cool robot designs, but the one sided limitations and the overpoweredness of the 2nd player side robots were just ridiculous.

Mortal Kombat I only really enjoy the original trilogy due to nostalgia and it's stupidness.

I bought the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection and playing them again, man I find it difficult.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Arch-vile

Post by Arch-vile »

I thought MK 1 and 3 were fairly easy. MK 2 is hard because Shao Kahn is such a cheap@$$. I've never found a good way to beat him. You can try to duck and block in the corner and wait for him to do his shoulder charge then uppercut him. It doesn't always work though, he'll trap you in the corner and kick the crap out of you.
He was a lot easier in MK3. Just hit him with a jumping punch or kick and immediately do your best combo as soon as you land. Or you can abuse projectiles 8-)

What did you think of the new MK?
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

It's fine for what it is, and the single player side with it's story mode certainly shows fighting games can do it well if the effort is put into it. At least that way it can appeal to casual players who are new or not used to the genre, and of course for fans who are deep into it's fictional lore. As a competitive game, it's just not for me. The whole series never did honestly. I play Mortal Kombat only for messing about with it's stupid and slightly racist nature. I mean really, it's mainly the violence that is the big draw for alot of people. I'm just not too fond of the stiffness in it's fighting mechanics.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Arch-vile

Post by Arch-vile »

I kinda liked it. The challenge tower was fun and story mode was entertaining. Online play sucked hard though. I loved the series when I was young because of the blood and fatalities, what kid didn't? But by MK4 I had moved on to Tekken 3 and other fighters. MK never was a competitive fighter imo. It's the game you play when you want to take a break from serious fighting games.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah I grew up primarily on Japanese made fighting games, and it is pretty obvious they are the best at it. Sure even they do have some crappy games in the past (Plenty of MUGEN style stuff), but compared to Western efforts, they just got the experience and legacy to back it up.

Mortal Kombat is pretty much the most successful Western one, but unfortunately due to it's themes and mechanics, still doesn't grab me as much. So yeah, it's mainly for messing about and having a big laugh.

Now Skullgirls, that is probably the best effort so far. I see so much inspiration they've taken from like Vs series, Guilty Gear/BlazBlue, Melty Blood, etc and it's the most Japanese mechanically in a Western fighting game I've ever seen. Unfortunately the artstyle of the game put me off. Too cartoony for me. The soundtrack is pretty decent though especially since Michiru Yamane did it.
Dank Buttsen

iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

Love the new MK9 (wish it was released for PC), also like the new mechanics and how everybody didn't have the generic high/low punch/kick anymore, LOL! I think Boon draw the inspiration from the Tekken series, which he admits is his favorite 3D fighter of all time. Plus, it was the first to put together a good story for a fighting game, full of cutscenes and what have you. What I hated though are the lack of hit trades and the seemingly stiff movement, but the worst offender is a net code! It was just unplayable online even with 4 bars, and NRS pretty much dropped support for the game after releasing their DLC characters (bastards!) So if you're gonna blame someone for starting a trend of DLC characters, blame NRS and not Capcom.
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah the stiff movement and animations is pretty much like their standard trademark feature.

They are focusing their efforts on Injustice: Gods Among Us, while interesting, doesn't really appeal to me.

Oh yeah MK9 for PC would have been awesome, but nope.
Dank Buttsen

iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

MisterHentai wrote:Yeah the stiff movement and animations is pretty much like their standard trademark feature.

They are focusing their efforts on Injustice: Gods Among Us, while interesting, doesn't really appeal to me.

Oh yeah MK9 for PC would have been awesome, but nope.
I dunno, but inspite of the OTP scenes in Injustice it feels too much like MK9 with DC characters. :lol: NRS did say the game will have hit trades so at the very least the bit's interesting to me. But I'll have to scope it out first when it comes out, not gonna pre order it like I did MK9.
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

Arch-vile

Post by Arch-vile »

Injustice looks interesting but I think they should tone down the background interactivity. It takes way too long when characters fall or get smashed through walls before the fight resume. That wager feature has got to go. NRS should focus on the fighting first, then all of the gimmicks afterwards.