Blender General Questions

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Re: Blender General Questions

Post by semory »

Did you put the script files in the "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\blender-2.49b\.blender\scripts" directory or wherever you have the program installed?
Mystie
Custom Rank: New to XNA Porting

Post by Mystie »

semory wrote:Did you put the script files in the "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\blender-2.49b\.blender\scripts" directory or wherever you have the program installed?
At first, I put it under Scripts\Addons like I did with 2.68, but just now I put it under simply Scripts, then told User Preferences to look for Python scripts in there, and now I can import them just fine! Thanks!

Unfortunately, it seems that it doesn't save the directory data when I close Blender, so I have to go through the process all over again every time I re-open the program.
I'm a n00b to model ripping/porting.

View my ripped models here: http://www.models-resource.com/submitter/Mystie/
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Post by thePWA »

Mystie wrote:
semory wrote:Did you put the script files in the "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\blender-2.49b\.blender\scripts" directory or wherever you have the program installed?
At first, I put it under Scripts\Addons like I did with 2.68, but just now I put it under simply Scripts, then told User Preferences to look for Python scripts in there, and now I can import them just fine! Thanks!

Unfortunately, it seems that it doesn't save the directory data when I close Blender, so I have to go through the process all over again every time I re-open the program.
Try Ctrl + U to save user defaults. Close blender and open again to test.
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
Mystie

Post by Mystie »

thePWA wrote:
Mystie wrote:

Try Ctrl + U to save user defaults. Close blender and open again to test.
Worked like a charm! Thank you so much!

Now to begin porting some models!

EDIT: Just exported an object as .mesh.ascii, and it ended up getting an error. :(

thePWA
Porter

Post by thePWA »

Yeah blender throws an error every now and then which is why you need to export some models twice. If there's no error on the second try then your model is ready for XPS.
Mystie

Post by Mystie »

thePWA wrote:Yeah blender throws an error every now and then which is why you need to export some models twice. If there's no error on the second try then your model is ready for XPS.
Thanks.

But now I've run into another problem: It doesn't export my models with meshes or textures. For a test, I'm using a pair of bananas from Super Mario Sunshine, and since Blender 2.49's interface feels very complicated to me, I import the model into 2.68 first, add the root bone there, and then open the .blend file with 2.49. However, when I do, the model appears as a wireframe only, even when I choose to display as textured or solid. I watched a tutorial on how to apply textures in 2.49, and that still didn't work, as it exported the model without textures. Then when I imported it into XPS using Load Generic_Item, it listed the model name and the root bone, but the model did not show up.

thePWA
Porter

Post by thePWA »

Mystie wrote:
thePWA wrote:Yeah blender throws an error every now and then which is why you need to export some models twice. If there's no error on the second try then your model is ready for XPS.
Thanks.

But now I've run into another problem: It doesn't export my models with meshes or textures. For a test, I'm using a pair of bananas from Super Mario Sunshine, and since Blender 2.49's interface feels very complicated to me, I import the model into 2.68 first, add the root bone there, and then open the .blend file with 2.49. However, when I do, the model appears as a wireframe only, even when I choose to display as textured or solid. I watched a tutorial on how to apply textures in 2.49, and that still didn't work, as it exported the model without textures. Then when I imported it into XPS using Load Generic_Item, it listed the model name and the root bone, but the model did not show up.
I don't have 2.68 installed currently so I'll just take a wild stab at the dark at this.

Make sure when you save your .blend file in 2.68 that the Legacy Format option is ticked on. When you open that .blend file in 2.49b it'll tell you its a blah blah animation file etc. just click ok.

If XPS doesn't show an error when you export your .mesh.ascii and you can't still see it then the model probably (1) is so small, try to rescale it by 100 or (2) has dull.tga for texture.
Mystie

Post by Mystie »

thePWA wrote:I don't have 2.68 installed currently so I'll just take a wild stab at the dark at this.

Make sure when you save your .blend file in 2.68 that the Legacy Format option is ticked on. When you open that .blend file in 2.49b it'll tell you its a blah blah animation file etc. just click ok.

If XPS doesn't show an error when you export your .mesh.ascii and you can't still see it then the model probably (1) is so small, try to rescale it by 100 or (2) has dull.tga for texture.
Yep, exported like a charm now that I turned on Legacy. However, when it exported, all I saw was a shadow, even after copying the texture into the folder of the model. I tried re-scaling it, and I still only saw the shadow. Also, I don't see dull.tga anywhere in the folder.

thePWA
Porter

Post by thePWA »

Mystie wrote:
thePWA wrote:I don't have 2.68 installed currently so I'll just take a wild stab at the dark at this.

Yep, exported like a charm now that I turned on Legacy. However, when it exported, all I saw was a shadow, even after copying the texture into the folder of the model. I tried re-scaling it, and I still only saw the shadow. Also, I don't see dull.tga anywhere in the folder.
Post the blend file up maybe one of the porters or me can see what the problem is.
Mystie

Post by Mystie »

A'ight, here ya go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbmflhic9csnfey/banana.zip

Includes the .obj and texture files too.