Blender General Questions

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Re: Blender General Questions

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Of course the upside is once you know the solution to something ya won't forget it and make the same mistake twice....

... ya get the privilege of making all new ones, :lol:
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Here's an odd one...

I've just merged two mesh pieces together. One was from a different character on a different layer. Once I have the new mesh piece where I want it and join it. I delete the unused material and keep the one of the target mesh / character. Hypothetically the new mesh should be using the material / texture of the original right? The faces that were part of the new mesh are still somehow retaining the texture of the original, at least in Blender... Everything's fine once exported and opened in XNALara, but having the mesh with the old texture is throwing me off. Any suggestions?

Edit: Neva Mind... I had to separate the mesh part and reassign the Datablock in the UV... still odd, but it worked. :?
Runa

Post by Runa »

I have a question too. Why is it impossible to render lightmaps sometimes? It's a rare thing, but it happens that I start baking a lightmap like I always do with every model and the rendering process not only is terribly slow, but it looks like the program can't properly figure out how to make the displacement. I don't know how to explain this, actually... :? so here you are an example of very weird baking process:

"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Post by Love2Raid »

It's because of the UV map. First of all, everything should be on top of the texture image (not outside), otherwise it becomes black. Also, there are probably more layers on top of eachother in the UV map. Split the mesh and bake different lightmaps if necessary.
Runa

Post by Runa »

Love2Raid wrote:It's because of the UV map. First of all, everything should be on top of the texture image (not outside), otherwise it becomes black. Also, there are probably more layers on top of eachother in the UV map. Split the mesh and bake different lightmaps if necessary.
Will try thanks :pi:
This lightmap finished baking in the end, but I had to edit it a lot XD
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
Love2Raid

Post by Love2Raid »

I actually couldn't see the image very well before, but now I can. Looks like a lot of mesh parts are joined that shouldn't be joined, because they should all have their own textures. So split them, then assign the correct image for every one in the image editor (so it appears underneath the UV map). When everything looks right, you can start baking. :)
Runa

Post by Runa »

Actually everything was set correctly :P the reason why the model is that weird is because I was accidentally baking the lightmap using sky colors lol. The image on the right is showing the baking in progress. Sometimes it happens... that blender first renders some parts, than everything disappears and it starts to render weird forms and dots O_o until it finally finishes after ages. The finished result is not that good obviously... that is why I needed to edit it in Photoshop.
Love2Raid

Post by Love2Raid »

Oh, I thought that was the actual texture (the blue one). :lol:

Yeah, that happens when the UV map has parts that are covered by other parts (multiple layers). The only thing you can do, is split the mesh in more parts.
Runa

Post by Runa »

I will try the next time I experience this problem again :)
Thinking about it, the uvs looked pretty "heavy" indeed.
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

And so my Blender scripting adventure continues... almost done... just need to ask szkaradek123 for help on ways to work around Blender deleting zero-length bones (which are VERY COMMON in games) and screwing up my skeleton. Which makes me ask... aren't unused bones in XNALara 0-length bones? How do you get them in without Blender deleting them?